2019 Election Results for New Hanover County
November 6, 2019, New Hanover County Election Update
(Republican Candidates are in BOLD)
CITY OF WILMINGTON
|• Bill Saffo||7,709||52%|
|Devon M. Scott||7,079||48%|
|• Margaret Haynes (inc.)||6,549||17%|
|• Kevin Spears||5,703||14%|
|• Neil Anderson (R)(inc.)||5,441||14%|
|Harry Smith, Jr. (R)||3,163||8%|
TOWN OF CAROLINA BEACH
|•LeAnn Pierce (R)||1,020||54%|
|Tom Elicson (R)||759||40%|
|• Lynn Barbee||1,143||33%|
|• Jay Healy||1,011||29%|
|Steve Shuttleworth (R)||1,005||29%|
|Debi DiNatale (R)||281||8%|
TOWN OF KURE BEACH
|• Craig Bloszinsky (R)||193||96%|
BOARD OF COMMISIONERS
|• David W. Heglar (R)||186||49%|
|• Joseph M. Whitley||183||48%|
TOWN OF WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH
|• Darryl Mills (R)||411||67%|
|• Jeff DeGroote (R)||488||47%|
|• Zeke Partin (R)||417||40%|
Reporting Data from Election
2019 County One-stop Totals for Early Voting
(click link to view report)
Notes and Observations
- Kevin Spears dominated precincts in downtown Wilmington and crushed Margaret Haynes in almost every downtown precinct.
- Neil Anderson holds six (6) votes over Paul Lawler. Absentee ballots are still being counted. Official canvas is on November 13th.
- Margaret Haynes came in 2nd in her own precinct.
- Early voting participation increased by 51% from the 2017 election. 16 additional early voting hours were added this election.
- Neil Anderson led the field in 8 of 27 precincts.
- Kevin Spears led in 8 precincts.
- Margaret Haynes led in 6 precincts (several with very few votes).
- Although voter participation was low, it still was greatly underestimated. Our team believed 4,000 votes was the magic number to win a Wilmington council seat. The reality was that over 5,400 were needed just to be competitive. The magic number was actually 5,600.
- Early voting was a missed opportunity for Republicans. The top three Wilmington Democratic council candidates’ received 28%-30% of their votes from early voters. Anderson received only 22%.
- Initial data shows Democratic voter enthusiasm to be greater than Republican as demonstrated by the very strong showing of Kevin Spears. Voting participation numbers by party will be released soon.